Four miles north of Onoway stands a small church built in the 1940s by Ukrainian pioneers. The first immigrant families in the area were served by various missionaries or circuit priests who spoke the Ukrainian language. Services were held in private homes, schools and other denominational churches. For very special occasions, such as the blessing of the Easter bread “paska”, baptisms or marriages, many traveled to Edmonton for their church needs.
As more Ukrainians settled in the Onoway area, the leading members agreed that a parish of their own should be organized. A dedicated group was formed in 1942 and people were elected to further the church interest of Onoway and District Canadian Ukrainians. Elected were: Karpo Yaroschuk, Dennis Nemenko and Nicolia Hreneshyn. They established priorities and a decision was made that the most urgent need was the purchase of land for a cemetery and that a church would be built when sufficient funds were pledged by the membership. A committee of three, Stan Koziar, John Shabada and Andrew Wengreniuk, was elected to find and purchase suitable land.
On April 12, 1943 four acres of land north of Onoway were purchased for $40.00. Plans were quickly underway to build a church and an intensive membership drive was undertaken to support the proposed building.
There were approximately 40 Ukrainian families who either pledged labour or financial support. Some names you may recognize include: Karpo Yaroschuk, Peter Yanchar, Roman Shabada, Alex Shabada, Peter Shabada, Paul Shabada, William Shabada, Nick Shulak, John Shulak, Steve Shulak, O. Derechy, John Bakan, Dennis Nemenko, Mike Storenchuk, N. Hreneshyn, P. Lewoniuk, Anani (Emil) Borys, Bill Koziar, Sam Koziar, Alex Koziar, John Shelenko, Phillip Tyschuk, Bill Tyschuk, Jim Tyschuk, John Tyschuk, Mark Omelchuk, Fred Antoniuk, John Antoniuk, Andrew Wengreniuk, C. Rocko, Paul Yanda, Bill Melenka and Bill Sawka. (The Church organization apologizes for any names that may have been omitted.)
The construction of a very modest building was underway; however, during the actual construction, the Roman Shabada family made a very generous donation in memory of their son, Peter, who had passed away. This enabled the final addition to be built on the church, which now serves as the altar.
Bill Tyschuk donated a very large amount of lumber, which was greatly appreciated. Almost all the interior furnishings such as vestments, crosses, holy pictures, Bibles, icons, candelabras and other church artifacts were donations of numerous members of the church over the years.
On April 8, 1950 the newly elected church executive was instructed by memberships to plan for the blessing and opening of the church. Elected were Andrew Wengreniuk (president), Nick Shulak (vice president), Alex Shabada (secretary) and Peter Shabada (treasurer). The financial control committee was Alex Koziar and Peter Yanchar, white Phillip Tyschuk and John Shelenko made up the church welcome committee.
Although the church was not fully completed, the first service was celebrated on Sunday, July 14, 1950. Reverend Ambrose Chrustanka blessed the church in the names of the Patron Saints Peter and Paul. Words cannot express the joy of all present as they participated in the first service of their new church, in their native language.
For decades, yearly services were held for Ukrainian Easter, Prasnak (celebration in July for the Feast of St. Peter and St. Paul) and Thanksgiving. The celebration in July brought out many former members from Edmonton and the surrounding area. It remains a wonderful service followed by the blessing of the graves and potluck lunch & fellowship. Of course, the church has also been used over the years for weddings, funerals, vow renewals and baptisms.
For 75 years, maintenance of both the grounds and the church has been kept up by the volunteer efforts of the congregation. To this date, the church is heated by a wood stove and lit by candles.
The church bell had been missing for several years and was recovered in the Rich Valley area, discovered by a grader operator. It was refurbished and stood proudly again for decades, only to be stolen in the summer of 2022 along with the church contents. The precious bell and sentimental artifacts remain unrecovered.
This little church continues to serve as a place of worship, but also stands as a monument to the Ukrainian pioneers who, in their wisdom, saw not only a need for their own spiritual development, but also a heritage to be left for the younger generation.

Play Memory Eternal Chant
Visit this Cemetery
GPS Co-ordinates: 53.774371, -114.199211
Affiliation: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada


